Cecil Aldin (1870 - 1935) was born in Slough and educated at Eastbourne College and Solihull Grammar School. He studied animal anatomy at the National Art Training School in South Kensington. In 1891 he moved to a studio in Chelsea and began his long link with Illustrated London News. He undertook numerous commissions for illustrations, joined Chelsea Art Club and held his first exhibition in Paris in 1908. He lived at Sulhamstead Abbots from 1913 to 1914. During the First World War he became OIC of a remount Depot and after the war spent much of his time involved with dog and horse shows. He painted many large equestrian portraits. In 1930 he retired to the Balearic Islands. He died at sea returning to UK in 1935.